Friday, January 20, 2012

A Waiting Game

I'm always learning new ideas and re-discovering old ones. Over the last week, we have been down south near the little country town of Pingrup. On our way home, storms were brewing all over the place and the skies were simply majestic.

Unfortunately, the car we were driving had no headlights and we were in a race against the sun to make it before dusk. We stopped a number of times on the way home for photographs. However, one particular spot outside Nyabing we encountered one of the numerous salt lakes. I jumped out of the car and ran to the lake. As you can imagine, the beautiful but fleeting light on the pink lake faded as I approached. I felt impatient and was keen to get back on the road. However, after making a quick judgement on the cloud situation I forced myself to wait out for almost 10 minutes (which seems MUCH longer when in a rush). To my delight, the sun began slowly to creep out from amidst the clouds. Once the lake was again lit up beautifully, I took my shot. Eager to get back on the road, I departed as did the light once more.

It was a great reminder for me to WAIT [and potentially wait and wait and wait] especially on those days when light might seem to be doing all the wrong things. Although I'll leave that particular salt lake photo for my next exhibition, the photo I took from our backyard that evening demonstrates the same principle for the light leaves as quickly as it first came.




No comments:

Post a Comment